Frequently Asked Questions
Is Schools of Dreams a registered charity?
Yes. Schools of Dreams became a registered charity in the Fall of 2018. Our charitable number is: 75775 0890 RR0001.
How long has Schools of Dreams been around?
- Schools of Dreams was created in 2004 as a passion project by Dora Anie following a visit to her hometown of Mepom in 2003. There she found the school that she attended as a child in disrepair.
- Dora returned to Canada with a heartfelt need to reach out to the children of Mepom. She began working on a plan to raise money to rebuild the school and provide supplies to the students.
- The project became know as Dora’s Dream.
- In 2016, Schools of Dreams was incorporated with a Board of Directors and in 2018 received charitable status through the Canada Revenue Agency.
Do donors receive receipts for their donations?
- Yes, provided that the donation is at least $20.
- Online donors will receive a thank-you letter automatically and a tax receipt from Schools of Dreams within 24-48 hours for their donation.
- The tax receipt will say that the donation is tax-deductible.
- For donations made by cash or cheque, tax receipts are issued as quickly as possible following receipt of the donation and the required information about the donor.
Is there a minimum donation amount to receive a tax receipt?
- All donations of $20 or more will receive a tax receipt.
Who serves on the Board of Directors?
- The Board of Directors is comprised of a passionate group of volunteers who donate 100% of their time and expertise to ensure that Schools of Dreams is governed effectively. In addition, each Board Member has made a commitment to make a financial donation each year to Schools of Dreams.
- Schools of Dreams does not have paid staff members.
What does Schools of Dreams do? What is its mission?
- Schools of Dreams builds or renovates schools in rural Ghana, West Africa so that young children have a safe and proper school in which to learn.
- There are countless communities in rural Ghana that have no school or make shift structures as schools. Sometimes, learning takes place under the shade of trees.
- We work in partnership with the community, local tradespeople and the Ghanian government.
Is Schools of Dreams making a difference?
- Schools of Dreams has recently developed an impact assessment process to measure the impact of having a school in a community.
- In Akuffokrom (our most recent completed school project), student enrolment has increased from 50 to over 500 students.
How much of the donation is going to the mission/cause? How is the money being used?
- Schools of Dreams operates without paid staff and without office related expenses such as rent, electricity, etc.; the Board of Directors not only plays a strategic role but an operational or “hands on” role as well. This means that more of your donation goes directly to building schools.
- There are some expenses incurred for business related activities such as software and printing costs, legal and external auditing expenses. This is expected by any non-profit in order to do its work.
- In addition, Schools of Dreams benefits from in-kind donations where companies and individuals offer their services at no cost or a reduced cost.
- Expenses are kept to a minimum to extent possible.
What is Schools of Dreams strategic long-term plan?
- Schools of Dreams has a 3 yr. strategic plan in place and is currently in its 2 yr. of the plan. It is already planning on developing a revised plan to continue to grow well into the future.
- There is also a 3 yr. fundraising plan in place with a goal of doubling its net revenue in 5 years. This will mean that Schools of Dreams will be able to build more than 1 school each year.
Can I see Schools of Dreams financial statements?
- A copy of the financial statements is available upon request.
- In coming months, they will be available on our website.
- Alternatively, you can see what has been submitted to Canada Revenue Agency as part of our annual filing at: List of Charities and completing the search for Schools of Dreams Inc.
How can I make an in-kind donation?
- Schools of Dreams welcomes in-kind donations when planning an in person or online event such as a live or silent auction.
- These events are typically held once a year.
- During the planning stage, Schools of Dreams will reach out to various past donors and supporters for in-kind donations.
- Donors can also reach out to Schools of Dreams at any time to inquire about making an in-kind donation.
- From time-to-time, Schools of Dreams may also need specialized services such as forms or website design, printing, or consulting services.
- In-kind donations of services is also appreciated.
- To discuss making an in-kind donation, please contact Schools of Dreams.
I represent a corporation. How can I help Schools of Dreams?
- As a company, you can help in the following ways:
- Corporate gift matching: A great idea for companies is to match employee donations.
- Donate goods and services: In-kind donations for our live or silent auctions are always welcomed.
Corporations can also donate time with their department experts in areas such as graphic design or web development or to provide services at a reduced cost such as printing and consulting.
- Group volunteering: Have employees volunteer to help with an event!
- Event sponsorship: Sponsor an event and have your organization spotlighted. There are different sponsorship levels or we can customize one to meet your needs.
- Attend an event by purchasing a corporate table: Have your organization purchase a table at our event and show your support.
- Become a corporate partner: Donate a portion of sales of a particular product.
- To discuss corporate support, please contact Barb Anie or Franca Hoda.
What information is needed for a tax receipt to be issued?
- In order for a tax receipt to be issued, donors must provide their full name and address.
- This is a Revenue Canada requirement.
What does Schools of Dreams do with the information I provide about myself?
- Schools of Dreams respects donor privacy; we do not rent, sell or trade our mailing lists.
- Donor information is used to recognize donors and to keep them informed and up to date on activities of our charity.
- Donor information, including donation amounts, is confidential.
- A donor can request to remain anonymous.
How can I unsubscribe from your emails or get off a direct mail list?
- Donors can request to limit or to stop communications by any means (email, mail, phone, etc.) simply by contacting Schools of Dreams at email@example.com or by calling (289) 408-8299 to let us know.